Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Wine with Oranges and Apple - Still Life Oil Paintting (Sold)

It was Sunday, the end of a very busy week.   I had spent three intense and amazing days in a workshop with master painter Qiang Huang and I had also spent a day with artist friends painting at a beautiful winery in the Gold Country.  Let me just say that the wine was a lot better than my painting!

So when Sunday rolled around  I was tired but still exhilarated with what I had learned in Qiang's workshop.  I just had to try another still life in my own studio.   I had to make do with a cardboard still life 'stage' which I sat on top of a storage crate which was in turn sitting on a table...all that to get the still life up near eye level.   I didn't have much in the way of props, but I did have a bottle of wine and two wines glasses (things aren't THAT desperate around here) and I located two oranges and an apple.  Finally I picked two branches off of a climbing vine that is taking over the trellis outside my studio.  With those props and a black sheet (a long story, but NOT what you think) I started painting.

I followed Qiang's five steps as closely as I could.   Within a bit more than 2 1/2 hours, the painting was done.  So much fun!  What a great painting exercise too.  Easy to set up and have a "live" model anytime I want.

Thanks one more time Qiang! 


Red Wine with Oranges and Apple    9 x 12 on oil primed linen panel. 
(Sold)

My Art Site: Bruce Hancock Fine Art

2 comments :

  1. Bonjour cher ami,

    Une superbe composition... J'aime beaucoup cette belle harmonie de couleurs.
    Je pense que vous avez raison, un bon verre de vin est une des bonnes choses de la vie !
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Martine Allison, mon ami artiste.
    Merci pour vos aimables paroles et d'avoir honoré mon blog une fois de plus. Art, amis et vin artiste sont en effet les bonnes choses de la vie!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete