Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Adapting in Locke!!

 Any plein air painter will tell you that a part of the process is adapting.  Wind, rain, heat, cold, various critters large and small, all add an element of adventure to the process...as if getting a decent painting wasn't tough enough.

On Saturday I went to the small Delta town of Locke to paint.   I've mentioned Locke in many previous posts, so I'll just say that it's a favorite spot with endless subject matter.  It was a quiet morning, with beautiful weather.  I picked a building and started the block-in.


A tranquil morning in Locke...



As I sketched, someone mentioned that a Cinco de Mayo motorcycle ralley was on the way.  Motorcycles are nothing new in Locke....it's a favored stop on most motorcycle runs in the Sacramento Delta area, and, of course, it's also home to the famous bar "Al the Wop's" ...a classic biker watering hole.  




....interrupted!





And then...in a deafening roar, they showed up!  I'd guess about 100 bikes rolled into main street.  I was surrounded!  







Adapt!  Paint Motorcycles!!













 There was nothing to do but adapt.  In a near-brilliant flash of self preservation, I added the bikes to my painting!







 And I even won over a few admirers.  I painted on.    What a blast!  My painting didn't come out that well, but it was a great morning...and I have a lot of material for future paintings.


Adapt!  Pretend nothing unusual is happening!  Paint on!


Here's my 9 x 12 painting.  A fun sketch...and maybe inspiration for a larger studio painting?  




Adapt, adapt!  There's really nothing quite like plein air painting. 




My Art Site: Bruce Hancock Fine Art

1 comment :

  1. Bruce, I know the town of Locke and it is colorful. I would say you had one of the most adapting situations for a plein air painter. What a good story. Your painting lay-in looks great. I would love to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete