Sunday, July 7, 2013

Rose in a Coke Bottle - Still Life

More roses!  Today was a hot Sunday afternoon.  But I'm not complaining: it was a perfect California Summer Day!  About 3 PM I'd finished all the chores to prepare for the week and I had the urge to paint.  I knew I wouldn't have much time, so I decided to do another simple still life.

My granddaughter Lily had left a coke bottle on the table on the backyard deck and it caught my eye.  I pruned a couple of roses from the garden and set up this simple still life.  The yellow roses quickly wilted because they weren't in water, and by the end of the painting, they were flat and shapeless...and that's my excuse for why mine look flat and shapeless in the painting!  I really need to spend some time learning to paint roses!

This painting is done on Ampersand Gessobord.  It's a very slick surface and I like it quite a bit.  It takes some getting used to...and I'm not totally there yet...but the colors stay on the surface nicely.  I have about 1 1/2 hours in this small study.  When it sets a bit, I'm going to have another go at the roses, I think.

Roses and Coke Bottle    12" x 9" Oil on Gessobord  





My Art Site: Bruce Hancock Fine Art

No comments :

Post a Comment