Thursday, January 19, 2012

First Portrait in quite awhile!

Using a photo I found on Wetcanvas.com, I painted this small 9"x12" portrait.  I really struggled with it.  It's been some time since my last portrait attempt, and my rustiness is evident.  As I post this photo, I see several areas which still need work...so I may have one more session with the  painting before it's done. 

My effort here was typical of what happens when I let too much time go by between painting sessions.  Rather than laying down a correct drawing and block in and then refining it to catch the final likeness, I found myself constantly correcting and repainting areas.  That's a sure path to failure...or at least frustration.  Well, there's only one way to cure the rust....PAINT! 


4 comments :

  1. Un portrait fabuleux... Un regard profond. Une véritable beauté...
    J'aime la lumière qui caresse sa peau...
    Bravo!
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce!!!!!!!!! This is a lovely portrait. I truly love it. I am amazed with what you call rustiness. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree this is a wonderful portrait. By the way, I often struggle and repaint and repair even though I paint very regularly. For me, it's the paintings that flow that are the rarity... but are so splendid when they happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley. Thanks for the kind comment. I think you are right, the paintings that just seem to happen are the rarity! What can we do, except just keep painting and hope that the 'flow' happens more and more often.

      Delete